Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 51: Fiddler on the Roof

Fiddler on the Roof






Whose Movie:  Steph's

Rating: Timeless

We finally watched Fiddler.  We've stalled on this one for almost 3 months because Matt, while he can agree that it's a good movie, he finds it really depressing.  Which I can see.  I mean the movie is about how the Jews of the city of Anatevka are persecuted and eventually kicked out of the country.  But in the three hours, it's mostly about Tevye and his relationship with his three oldest daughters as they prepare to get married.  I think that's why I love this movie/play so much, as it's about a father who loves his daughters so much he is willing to move away from the traditions of his religion in order to accommodate them  and their future husbands, but only up to an extent.  He does have his limits.  I'll imbed his limit below, so I don't spoil it, but you can watch if you want to see it.  It's a beautiful scene, and it makes me cry every time I see this movie.


What I also love about this movie/play is the symbolism of the Fiddler.  He represents the Jewish traditions that Tevye and the town of Anatevka follow, and if you watch closely through the movie, if he's not there, the theme song is there, and you can see when they follow traditions and when they have to choose between doing the traditional thing and when to follow a new idea.

One other thing about this movie.  Topol is the best Tevye ever, in my opinion.  He does an amazing job capturing all the emotions that Tevye is feeling. 

Next up: Fifth Element, 50 First Dates, Finding Neverland

No comments:

Post a Comment